Sunday, April 20, 2014

Lust

Let’s talk about the seven deadly sins. Do you know what they are? Can you name them off the top of our head? I know that I can name 6 without having to look them up.
1. Sloth
2. Gluttony
3. Lust
4. Greed
5. Vanity
6. Pride
7. Anger or Wrath
As a whole none of them are good for us. God does not like any of them. That is why they are called sins. Simple to figure out right. But what does He have to say about them? If we look in the bible, and I am using a KJV version, Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief. A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
A second verse from the bible, again a KJV version, states Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put of all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Today I am just going to focus on Lust.
At BRINGING BACK GOD in BRISTOL, TN PASTOR JOHN COLLINS talks abut the seven sins in his sermons. He states, “You cannot be a new person if you still have sin in your heart. If you are still coveting, which is lusting, after things here on earth, then you are sinning. Do not lust after a person, a home, possessions you have here on earth. You cannot take them to heaven with you. Store up your treasures in heaven not on earth. When you die they will just be things that your family will have to take care of.”
Lust can come in all shapes and forms. You can lust after a good looking woman or man. You can also crave something. Some crave attention, some crave, sugar, some crave drugs. This is all a form of lust. Look in your heart do you struggle with lust? I know I have. I have a problem with sugar at times. I crave it like nothing else. But if I give in to my craving and satisfy my addiction I know that I am lusting therefore I am sinning. I ask God for help and know in my heart that because I am showing Him that I can resist the temptation of vast quantities of sugar, like eating cake icing straight from a can (very guilty of that and I have done it more than once not only as an adult but as a kid), that He will help me with this struggle and take it from me so I no longer crave or lust after sugar.
If you like looking at men or women it is the same thing. Ask God to take that addiction away from you and show Him that you can resist the temptation everyday and He will help you. See the thing is we have given up on God but He has not given up on us. There is a poem that I once read called Footprints In The Sand. It talks about how a person and God are walking along the beach. The person looks back at on point in time and sees that there is only one set of foot prints and asks God why have you left me? God’s answer is I didn’t leave you, that set of footprints that you see is when I carried you. So you see God is always with us. We just need to believe that he is there. So when you find yourself having lust, of any form, in your heart, give it to God. Come back to Him. Glorify the Cross and the man who died on it for us. Jesus died to take or sins. He died to carry that burden for us.
If you would like to learn more about the seven sins or would like to learn how to no longer have lust in your heart, please come visit us at BRINGING BACK GOD in BRISTOL, TN or in MARIETTA, PA. Come talk to PASTOR JOHN COLLINS and bring yourself back to the Cross. Back to Jesus Christ. Back to God.
I Love You and God Bless You,
The Church-Goer Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment